Early Life Edit
Chernus was born on August 8, 1977 in Rocky River, Ohio, USA. He is a graduate of the Juilliard School's Drama Division.
He made his on-screen debut as Ben in the 2005 film Winter Passing.
Also an accomplished stage actor, Michael won a 2011 OBIE Award and received a Lucille Lortel Award nomination for his performance in Lisa Kron's In the Wake at The Public Theater in New York City. On stage, he most recently co-starred with David Hyde Pierce in the Manhattan Theater Club production of Close Up Space at New York City Center. Other New York credits include such theaters as Playwrights Horizons, the Roundabout Theatre Company, Primary Stages, New York Theater Workshop, The Atlantic Theater Company, and many productions at the Rattlestick Playwrights Theater (where he played the lead role of KJ in Annie Baker's play The Aliens which Charles Isherwood, of the New York Times, named the best play of 2010).
His credits in regional theater include productions at the Williamstown Theater Festival, The Yale Repertory Theatre, and the Guthrie Theater, among others. Internationally, he appeared in Adam Rapp's Finer Noble Gases at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (Fringe First Award) and in London at the Bush Theatre. Michael is a graduate of the Juilliard School's Drama Division (Group 28).
- Francis Hamm in Bored to Death
- Ryan Flanagan in Mercy
- Jeffrey Price in Men in Black 3
- Jay Delaney in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
- Arthur Ingram in The Bourne Legacy
- Pat McRevis in Royal Pains
- Shane Murphy in Captain Phillips
- Brian Colby in Glass Chin
- Edwin Borstein in Elementary
- Gary St. Gray in People Places Things
- Louis Fedowitz in Manhattan
- Spencer Harman in The Good Wife
- Dylan Heinz in The Dinner
- Jon Garth Murray in The Most Hated Woman in America
- Edward Tavner in Patriot
- James Starrs in Wormwood
- Phineas Mason in Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Grant Spinelli in The Kindergarten Teacher
Personal Life Edit
Chernus married his wife, Emily Simoness, on Sept. 26, 2015 at Ryder Farm in Brewster, New York. Simoness is the Co-Founder & Executive Director of SPACE at Ryder Farm. SPACE creates an environment singular in its ability to invigorate artists and innovators and their work, and contributes to the sustainability and resourceful preservation of one of the oldest family-run organic farms on the East Coast.
Social Media Edit
- His Twitter is @michaelchernus